Good sleep is good for us. In fact, it is essential if we want to perform to our potential and be at our best. It helps us combat stress, overcome challenges, make good decisions and recall knowledge we have learned. Here are 5 Tougher Minds tips to develop helpful sleep habits…
1. Plan to sleep well. Spend some time ‘self-watching’ to understand how long you sleep for and create a plan to get more if you need to (On average you should sleep for 7-9 hours per night).
2. Set an alarm to go off one hour before you want to go to sleep to remind you to begin your bedtime routine.
3. Avoid using smartphones and other devices in your bedroom. The ‘blue’ light from these devices keeps the brain in an alert state, which makes it difficult to fall asleep.
4. Have a warm bath or shower as part of your bedtime routine. This will lower your body temperature which aids sleep.
5. Many people have a habit of waking up in the middle of the night and struggling to get back to sleep. Develop a ‘get back to sleep’ routine . e.g. go to the bathroom; have a glass of water and half a banana; do not check your phone; get bed into bed and read a book until you are ready to fall back to sleep.